Norway skyline at night

Norway GDP January 2019

Norway: Economic growth picks up in January after a flat December

According to monthly GDP data released by Statistics Norway, total economic output increased 0.2% in January compared to the previous month in seasonally-adjusted terms, contrasting December’s flat growth reading. Meanwhile, in the wider November–January period, the total economy expanded 0.3% over the previous rolling quarter, down from the 0.5% increase in October–December.

Mainland GDP—which excludes hydrocarbon extraction activity and related transport—increased 0.3% in January from the previous month, contrasting the flat growth reading recorded for December. Mainland GDP rose a solid 0.8% in November–January, down marginally from the 0.9% increase in October–December.

In January, private consumption rose 0.3% from the previous month in seasonally-adjusted terms, up from and likely influenced by the 0.2% drop in December. Government spending increased a solid 0.5% in January, up from 0.2% in December. Fixed investment, which is notably volatile on a month-to-month basis, rose 2.0% in January, contrasting the 0.2% fall in December. The external sector found some impetus in January after a few months of downbeat readings: Exports of goods and services rose 3.6%, up from the 0.2% increment in December, and imports rose 3.4%, contrasting the 0.2% decrease in December.

Norway GDP Forecast

Free sample report

Access essential information in the shortest time possible. FocusEconomics provide hundreds of consensus forecast reports from the most reputable economic research authorities in the world.
Close Left Media Arrows Left Media Circles Right Media Arrows Right Media Circles Arrow Quote Wave Address Email Telephone Man in front of screen with line chart Document with bar chart and magnifying glass Application window with bar chart Target with arrow Line Chart Stopwatch Globe with arrows Document with bar chart in front of screen Bar chart with magnifying glass and dollar sign Lightbulb Document with bookmark Laptop with download icon Calendar Icon Nav Menu Arrow Arrow Right Long Icon Arrow Right Icon Chevron Right Icon Chevron Left Icon Briefcase Icon Linkedin In Icon Full Linkedin Icon Filter Facebook Linkedin Twitter Pinterest