FocusEconomics is a leading global provider of macroeconomic intelligence. Our signature Consensus Forecast and solutions provide comprehensive, accurate and approachable coverage of the latest economic trends, empowering you to stay ahead of the competition.
FocusEconomics in Numbers
FocusEconomics collects over three thousand individual forecasts from hundreds of global analysts so that our clients understand critical country-level, regional and commodity market developments.
Years in Business
FocusEconomics eliminates the risks of relying on only one source for macroeconomic forecasts. Our Consensus Forecasts capture the insights of hundreds of the world’s leading economic forecasters to provide a more reliable outlook.
Trusted by government agencies, leading multinational companies like Coca-Cola and Amazon, and major financial institutions like the World Bank, FocusEconomics has been a go-to provider for easy-to-use macroeconomic intelligence for over 20 years.
Who We Are
Our Analyst Network
FocusEconomics collects over 3,000 country and commodity forecasts from experts including international investment banks, rating agencies, leading national banks, forecasting firms and think tanks. The average forecasts for indicators including GDP growth, inflation and exchange rates—the Consensus Forecasts—and timely analysis of economic developments provide decision-makers with an unbiased assessment of the economic outlook. See some of the many organizations that make up our panel of experts here.
Focus on your business while our team of economists and data scientists collects, analyzes and verifies thousands of data points and tracks global economic developments on a constant basis. We continually enhance our coverage and data solutions to fit our clients’ evolving needs. Find out more about our expert team here.
We partner with top economic data and intelligence providers to ensure our clients can access our data and research via their preferred platforms. We are proud to work with Bloomberg, EMIS, FactSet, Haver Analytics, Infront, Macrobond, Refinitiv and S&P Global Market Intelligence.
For over a decade, FocusEconomics has maintained a solid reputation among the world’s major financial institutions, multinational companies, and government agencies as a reliable source for business intelligence. Companies around the world rely on FocusEconomics for access to timely and accurate economic intelligence. View more of our clients here.
Find out more about what we do
The concept of forecasts has been used for several decades for a variety of purposes, ranging from econometrics to meteorology. The principle is simple and straightforward: collect predictions from different sources and combine them into one single number. Naturally, some of the collected predictions will err to the upside while others will do so to the downside.
By taking the average of the different estimates, the errors tend to cancel each other out. Therefore, the average of multiple estimates will be closer to the truth than most individual judgments. This principle is underlying the so-called wisdom-of-the-crowd approach, which has been extensively studied by numerous sources.
Forecasting errors have two different components: bias (systematic deviation from the outcome, such as a tendency to be too optimistic) and noise (random scatter). Among professional forecasters such as the ones that we collaborate with, bias is negligible, but even the best forecasters exhibit noise and will not always hit the mark.
Our Consensus Forecasts minimize that noise. For instance, our panel of 68 forecasters for Eurozone GDP growth reduces noise by 88%, while our panel of 33 forecasters for Chile’s exchange rate reduces noise by 83%.
These findings are in line with a large body of independent research that has shown that individual forecasters are unlikely to consistently beat the market. While some forecasters may outperform their peers in one year, none beats the consensus year after year and certainly not across all economic indicators. That means that relying on a single source of economic intelligence is risky.
All business decisions involve risk. That being said, decision-makers strive to gather as much relevant information as possible before committing valuable resources for a long period of time. This is where FocusEconomics Consensus Forecasts offer advantages, by providing:
- More insight. Instead of relying on only a single source of economic intelligence, our tools provide the entire spectrum of market forecasts.
- Scenario planning. The high and low points of the forecasting range provide natural landmarks for scenario analysis instead of forcing planners to randomly pick values for worst-case and best-case scenarios.
- Irrefutable authority. FocusEconomics polls the world’s leading economists for their macroeconomic forecasts, making sure that business plans have a solid foundation that holds up against the scrutiny of even the most critical board member.
Other benefits of our client solutions include:
- Access to privileged information. Chances are you already have access to some of the sources included in our data service. You may be receiving reports from some banks or you may even have a subscription to a professional forecasting firm. However, with our service you get unlimited access to the combined forecasts of the world’s most renowned economic intelligence sources, including:
- International investment banks with their globe-spanning research units, including Citigroup, Goldman Sachs, HSBC, JPMorgan and UBS
- Leading national financial powerhouses, such as Banco Itaú, Banco Santander, BBVA and Commerzbank
- Rating agencies including Fitch Ratings, Moody’s and S&P Global Ratings (S&P)
- Professional forecasting firms, such as Capital Economics, the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) and Oxford Economics
- Think tanks and consultancies
- Complete coverage. In total, FocusEconomics compiles over 3,500,000 forecast data points.
- Rigorous quality control. We go well beyond just collecting the data. We filter, validate, process and analyze every projection we receive before making it available to our clients to ensure that you can fully rely on every single data point.
- Intelligent insight. Our in-house team of economists provides valuable written analysis on the state-of-play and outlook for commodities, countries and regions. Succinct bullets highlight key economic and political events, while additional coverage hones in on the most important economic indicators.
- Time-savings. Our reports have been designed for the busy executive from the ground up. Extensive use of summaries, bullets, tables and charts enable you to access the essential information in the shortest time possible.
- Unique Insight. Metrics based on forecasts from a multitude of market participants provide unique insight that is not available through conventional (single source) forecasts.
- Level of uncertainty. The spread of the forecasts contains valuable insight into the risk associated with a forecast. A higher standard deviation indicates a higher level of uncertainty prevailing among forecasters, serving as an additional sign of caution.
- Forecast trends. The evolution of forecast history allows for a quick and intuitive assessment of past and future developments.
- Minimum and maximum forecasts provide insight into the values that are unlikely to be surpassed or undercut. As such, they provide useful landmarks for scenario analysis.
Trusted by Leading Companies & Organizations
View more of our clients