Norway skyline at night

Norway GDP Q3 2021

Norway: Economic growth accelerates in the third quarter

The economy gained further traction in the third quarter, with GDP expanding 3.8% on a seasonally-adjusted quarter-on-quarter basis, accelerating markedly from the prior quarter’s 1.0% increase.

The third quarter’s improvement was broad-based, supported by the further removal of domestic Covid-19 restrictions. Private consumption growth accelerated to 6.0% in seasonally-adjusted quarter-on-quarter terms in Q3, from 1.1% in the prior quarter. The result was likely supported by a notable increase in employment levels: Seasonally-adjusted data revealed that employment in Q3 was similar to its pre-pandemic Q4 2019 level. Moreover, government spending grew at a quicker rate in the quarter (Q3: +1.3% s.a. qoq; Q2: +0.9% s.a. qoq). Lastly, fixed investment returned to growth in Q3, increasing 1.1% in seasonally-adjusted quarter-on-quarter terms (Q2: -0.2% s.a. qoq).

On the external front, exports of goods and services expanded at a faster rate in Q3, with growth coming in at 6.5% on a seasonally-adjusted quarter-on-quarter basis (Q2: +1.8% s.a. qoq). Similarly, imports of goods and services increased at a stronger pace (Q3: +5.8% s.a. qoq; Q2: +4.7% s.a. qoq). Consequently, the external sector added 0.6 percentage points to the overall reading in Q3, contrasting the prior quarter’s 0.7 percentage-point subtraction.

The mainland economy—which excludes petroleum activities and related ocean transport—expanded 2.6% on a seasonally-adjusted quarterly basis in Q3, quickening from the 1.1% increase recorded in the previous quarter. Meanwhile, on an annual basis, total economic activity growth came in at 5.1% in Q3, moderating from Q2’s 6.2% expansion. Lastly, mainland economy growth eased to 5.0% year-on-year in Q3 from 7.7% in the previous quarter.

Commenting on the role of consumers in the economy’s performance, analysts at Fitch Solutions explained:

“Private consumption will be a key driver of recovery in the quarters ahead as we expect restrictions in Norway to remain light in the coming quarters compared with those in Q1 2021 and before. […] As of September 2021, private consumption had already surpassed December 2019 levels by 1.6%. Granular consumption data from Statistics Norway’s national accounts show how consumption patterns are also returning to pre-pandemic normality. Since April 2021, household consumption has been shifting towards services as the economy reopens, while consumption in goods is stagnating. We believe that consumers are already spending their excess savings accrued during lockdowns, supported by an ongoing improvement in labour market conditions.”

Free sample report

Access essential information in the shortest time possible. FocusEconomics provide hundreds of consensus forecast reports from the most reputable economic research authorities in the world.
Close Left Media Arrows Left Media Circles Right Media Arrows Right Media Circles Arrow Quote Wave Address Email Telephone Man in front of screen with line chart Document with bar chart and magnifying glass Application window with bar chart Target with arrow Line Chart Stopwatch Globe with arrows Document with bar chart in front of screen Bar chart with magnifying glass and dollar sign Lightbulb Document with bookmark Laptop with download icon Calendar Icon Nav Menu Arrow Arrow Right Long Icon Arrow Right Icon Chevron Right Icon Chevron Left Icon Briefcase Icon Linkedin In Icon Full Linkedin Icon Filter Facebook Linkedin Twitter Pinterest