4 Key European Elections That Will Impact the Economy in 2017
After a year characterized by Brexit, a migrant crisis, populist movements and the election of Donald Trump, uncertainty in the European Union economy is high. While economic data has remained resilient thus far, politics will likely stay in the spotlight this year and threaten confidence as a number of high profile economies hold elections, including France, Germany, The Netherlands and Italy. In a context of waning support for the status quo and recent election polls failing to predict results, Senior Economist Angela Bouzanis takes a look at the upcoming votes we are keeping an eye on and why.
The Netherlands: Parliamentary Election
When: 15 March
Snapshot: Polls suggest that the country could take a profound shift to the right and the Party for Freedom (PVV)—a Eurosceptic, right-wing Populist Party—is predicted to come out on top.
The Bottom line: The fragmented nature of the Netherlands parliament makes it unlikely that the PVV will take power. A number of the mainstream parties have stated that they will not cooperate with the PVV, likely leaving them out of the ruling coalition, however, the Dutch consensus-building tradition will get tested and the country could enter more confrontations with the EU.
France: Presidential & Legislative Elections
When: Presidential First round: 23 April | Legislative: 11 and 18 June
Snapshot: Far-right candidate Marie Le Pen’s popularity has sparked fears that France could be the next country to do a post-election policy 180.
The bottom line: Le Pen is unlikely to win in a second round vote and recent polls suggest her momentum is waning. Chances are that France could elect a new President who favors fiscal consolidation and reforms—a positive for the country’s outlook. The French economy has suffered from a lack of competitiveness and is on a weak growth trajectory, making the economy a top priority for the new leader. Presidential elections will also serve as a test of mood, ahead of June’s parliamentary vote.
Our recent piece on Debt and Deficits in the Eurozone provides insight into France’s economic challenges.
Germany: Parliamentary Elections
When: Fall 2017
Snapshot: Chancellor Angela Merkel will seek a fourth term as head of the Eurozone’s largest economy.
The bottom line: The refugee crisis has dented Merkel’s and the CDU’s support and the race is likely to be tighter in the face of rising populism. While Germany is expected to remain in the hands of a moderate government, a fractured Bundestag could lead to a need for another Grand Coalition and affect policy making going forward.
Italy: Parliamentary Elections
When: Date not yet set
Snapshot: Italy could see an early election after the resignation of Matteo Renzi last year.
The bottom line: A new electoral law needs to be written before elections can be held and parliamentary factions are far from agreement on new voting rules, complicating the timing of the new vote. The current government is transitional in nature, but the country’s pressing structural problems require reform minded leaders.
The crowded election cycle will keep political uncertainty high in the European Union this year and changing leaders could complicate the EU policy agenda. Brexit, Greece and the refugee crisis are ongoing issues that need to be tackled and the new political leaders will be key in determining how they proceed. In addition, this election cycle is likely to be impacted by growing populism, which could challenge the status quo (for more information see our article on populist sentiment). Despite these political challenges, the FocusEconomics panel sees the recovery continuing this year and expects GDP to increase 1.5% in the Eurozone.
5-year economic forecasts on 30+ economic indicators for 127 countries & 33 commodities.
Author: Angela Bouzanis, Senior Economist
Date: January 18, 2017
TagsSouth Africa Asia United States Latin America Ukraine IMF Colombia Trade Emerging Markets Vietnam oil prices India TPP Cryptocurrency Portugal G7 Economic Growth (GDP) European Union Precious Metals Commodities France Iran Exchange Rate Eurozone USA Spain Mexico Africa Russia Agricultural Commodities precious metals Germany Japan UK Consensus Forecast Euro Area Banking Sector Oil Australia Commodities Base Metals Commodities Infographic Tunisia Venezuela Housing Market OPEC Turkey Gold Brazil Unemployment rate Canada Nordic Economies Italy Forex Argentina Bitcoin Investment Brexit Sub-Saharan Africa Inflation Energy Commodities China United Kingdom Greece Eastern Europe MENA Healthcare Company News Major Economies
10 minutes ago
On 16 February, Nigerians will head to the polls to elect their next president. Economist Javier Colato details the… https://t.co/SrXTmy1LdO
15 hours ago
Energy prices are seen rising 1.7% in Q4 2019 compared to the same period of 2018 (last month: -3.2% year-on-year).… https://t.co/aoRwKyioCT
16 hours ago
Agricultural prices are projected to increase 5.6% year-on-year in Q4 2019 (last month: +10.5% yoy). Read more: https://t.co/OcVLmUvPVc
18 hours ago
Don't miss this preview of our latest Consensus Forecast report for Mexico. Download the full report here:… https://t.co/aHHDW1UOkG
19 hours ago
- Canada in 2019: Interview with a Top Economic Forecaster
- Pound Sterling 2019 Exchange Rate: Projections from Leading Analysts
- Expectations for Latin America’s Economy in 2019
- Ethiopia and Rwanda: From Destruction to Development
- Key commodities trends to look out for in 2019
- What drove Gulf neighbors to bail out Bahrain?
- The Four Financial Bubbles and Their Impact on the U.S. Economy
- The Poorest Countries in the World
- Italy: The sick man of Europe
- What does Bolsonaro's presidential win mean for Brazil's economic outlook?
- The World's Top 10 Largest Economies
- In Latin America, taxpayers are tapped to shoulder the burden of a bank bailout
- How and when will the next financial crisis happen? - 26 experts weigh in
- China and Africa: A partnership under the spotlight
- The conditions are ripe for a Global Financial Crisis 2.0
- Uncertainty, instability and fear haunt a generation of Argentinians
- 5 things: What to expect for Mexico's economy in 2019
- 5 things: Brazil's economic downturn and what to expect going forward
- Emerging Market Currency Crisis: Everything you need to know
- Which ASEAN countries are most exposed in the event of a U.S.-China trade war?
- 75 Top Economics Influencers to Follow
- Emerging Markets Economic Outlook 2018 and 2019
- The Faces Behind Latin America’s Key Institutions
- 2019 Economic Outlook for the Top Oil Producing Countries
- Is your cup of coffee about to get more expensive going in to 2019?
- The Economic Implications of an Aging Global Population
- Can the Wisdom of the Crowds predict the results of the 2018 World Cup?
- Railway Mania: The Largest Speculative Bubble You’ve Never Heard Of
- From Riches to Rags: Have Cryptocurrencies Crashed for Good?
- Investment looks to Latin America, but forecasts are not encouraging
- Turkey: Erdogan has cemented his grip on power - now what about the economy?
- How can Latin America’s business environment benefit from technological change?
- Mexico: A look at the past, present and future as elections yield AMLO victory
- Italy’s New Populist Government and the Eurozone: Prelude to a Crisis?
- Latin America moves toward increased integration as U.S. protectionism grows
- How can Latin America increase productivity without affecting the quality of employment?
- How will Saudi Arabia's economy benefit from lifting the women's driving ban?
- Which countries are the most prepared for the upcoming digital revolution?
- India Under Pressure from the U.S. on Trade Policy
- The Story of Steel
- Latin America is the World Leader in eCommerce Growth Despite Serious Challenges
- What the TPP means for trade in Latin America
- Elections in Russia: Analysis and Implications
- Nearly a Third of Latin Americans Have No Right to a Pension
- A Look at Healthcare Models Around the World
- Newly-elected Chilean President Sebastian Piñera faces a myriad of challenges - economic and otherwise
- The Economic Effects of Trade Protectionism
- Regional Disparity: The Dark Side of Inequality in Latin America
- Coal: The story of the world's most abundant fossil fuel
- Venezuela's Electoral Conundrum
- Gold: The Most Precious of Metals (Part 3)
- Trump's 1st Year: 95 Analysts Surveyed on U.S. Economy
- The Latest on China and What's in Store for 2018
- An in-depth look at the Eurozone’s booming economy and the challenges that lurk in the shadows
- Increasing poverty in Latin America takes a breather thanks to improving economic dynamics
- What will be the most miserable economies in 2018?
- Is Spain doing enough to address its high youth unemployment rate?
- Has Latin America gone far enough in reducing barriers to international trade?
- Commodities Outlook: Oil, Natural Gas, Coal, Lead & Tin
- 21 experts tell us what the future looks like for cryptocurrencies and blockchain
- Turkish lira plummets to all-time low on Erdogan’s monetary feud and tense U.S.-Turkey relations
- Copper: The first metal mastered by man
- Nigerian Economy Still Treading Water Thanks to Oil Sector
- The Mercosur-EU Free Trade Agreement: Obstacles & Opportunities
- Elections in Chile: What the results could mean for the economy
- QE’s Untold Story: A Chart That Fed Correspondents Need To Investigate
- Holland’s fragile one-seat majority government targets economic growth at the expense of fiscal sustainability
- South Africa: Economy at a tipping point?
- Latin American Commodities: What’s behind the increase in demand and prices?
- Is the UK really "shackled to a corpse"?
- Spain-Catalonia: 7 economic experts weigh in on how the situation will affect the outlook
- How well is Spain's labor market doing since the crisis?
- Which countries will have the highest and lowest inflation in 2017?
- How vulnerable is Latin America to economic crises today?
- Iron ore facts and common questions answered
- The bulging economic costs of obesity
- How much investment is needed to salvage Latin America’s crumbling infrastructure?
- A Look at the Potential Impact of Brexit on the Dutch Economy
- Emerging Markets Are Kicking Into Higher Gear In 2017
- Why is foreign direct investment in Latin America falling again?
- Are Central Banks Nationalising the Economy?
- Bounty or burden? The impact of refugees on European economies is far from clear
- What’s the future of U.S.-Latin America trade relations?
- Taxes or cutbacks? Latin America's challenge of sustaining spending without causing debt to skyrocket
- Are uranium prices making a comeback?
- Taxing the Economy: Achieving a Delicate Balance
- How will Latin America’s upcoming lengthy election cycle affect the reform agenda and credit ratings?
- How will emerging market economies perform in 2017?
- Chilean Economy in Focus: Interview with Senior Economist of the Chamber of Commerce of Santiago
- CEOs Rank Top Economies for Growth Opportunities
- The Mobile Ecosystem & Latin America's Economy
- Prospects and Challenges for the Global Economy: Interview with Tim Cooper from BMI Research
- How will the Fed reduce its balance sheet & and how will the ECB end QE? - 19 economic experts weigh in
- Thoughts on "unwinding" QE from Frances Coppola
- The Fed and ECB at a crossroads: Unwinding QE
- Spain: The economy that continues to silence the critics
- Latin America: The Most Unequal Region in the World
- The History of OPEC: Has it been a Success?
- FocusEconomics Announces 2017 Analyst Forecast Awards Winners
- Latin America’s rising unemployment bucks nearly decade long trend
- Escape from the Central Bank Trap by Daniel Lacalle
- China's economic rebalancing act: What to look out for in 2017
- Driving Growth in Latin America: Challenges & Priorities
- Is the Global Economy Rebalancing?
- Commodity exporters face challenging times
- Recent Global Events Facilitate Mercosur-Pacific Alliance
- 23 economic experts weigh in: Why is productivity growth so low?
- Mexico's outlook as Trump nears 100-day mark
- Interview with Oxford Economics Senior Economist on implications of the possible outcomes of the French Presidential Election
- The anxiety of the small saver in a world of negative interest rates
- Brexit negotiations. Between Uncertainty and Urgency
- An Economic History of the EU from El Blog Salmón
- Baby Boomin': Implications of high population growth in Latin America
- Survey of International Economists Predicts a Le Pen Defeat in French Elections, Says Macron has Best Economic Plan
- Spain in a global context: developed economy with some challenges
- How much is crime costing Latin America?
- Predictions & Estimates from Economist Daniel Lacalle
- “The data is not a true reflection of reality in India” Interview with Société Générale India Economist
- What economy will the new Dutch government inherit?
- What are the prospects for Emerging Economies in 2017?
- What to expect in Asia for 2017
- Top Economics & Finance Blogs of 2017
- Latam to Resume Moderate Growth in 2017 but Important Risks Plague Outlook
- 4 Key European Elections That Will Impact the Economy in 2017
- How are security concerns and political chaos affecting Turkey’s economy?
- Global growth to edge up in 2017
- Set to breach targets again? Debt and deficit outlooks for Southern European Eurozone countries in 2016 & 2017
- What does Donald Trump mean for the U.S. economy?
- How will emerging markets perform in 2017?
- The economic impact of a break in U.S.-Philippines ties
- Trump election: Base metals surge due to infrastructure plan
- 5 updates on the Venezuelan economic crisis
- Canada: When your neighbor’s house is on fire…
- Short-term pain before long-term gain? A look at French labor reform and economic growth
- Asia: Unremarkable growth & unfulfilled promises?
- How India's latest monsoon is affecting the economy
- Innovation in Latin America: Potential Goes Untapped Due to Weak Economic Conditions
- Russian economy update in wake of OPEC deal announcement
- The Wisdom of the Crowds and the Consensus Forecast
- Can the peso predict the U.S. election results?
- There's no end in sight to the Venezuela crisis
- A Look at the European Union Political Calendar
- Survey of international economists shows uncertainty surrounding elections damaging U.S. growth prospects
- FocusEconomics partners with leading online statistics provider Statista
- China: Recent postive economic data may be papering over the cracks
- Sub-Saharan Africa's 2016 & 2017 growth rates
- The Italian Dilemma: Weak banks pose risk to already faltering domestic demand
- How much money do migrants from Latin America send home?
- The U.S.' (Not So) Mysterious Case of the Missing Men
- What to expect from the G20 economies by 2020
- The Pain in Spain: Robust GDP growth cannot mask the persistent structural deficit