GDP in Peru
Peru - GDP
Economic growth wanes in the third quarter
GDP growth waned to 1.7% year on year in the third quarter from 3.3% in the second quarter. Q2’s reading marked the slowest expansion since Q4 2020. A downturn in foreign sales and cooling private spending domestically were behind the deceleration.
Household spending growth declined to 3.5% year on year in Q3, compared to the 4.9% expansion in Q2, as household consumption felt the pinch of soaring inflation, depressed sentiment and higher interest rates. Meanwhile, private investment dropped, declining 0.8% in Q3, contrasting the 0.8% increase logged in the previous quarter amid falling investment in the mining sector. On the other hand, public investment growth surged 11.6% in Q3 from 0.5%, mainly due to increased spending by local governments. Overall, fixed investment growth ticked up from 0.8% in Q2 to 1.3% in Q3. Lastly, public consumption dropped at a sharper pace of 6.3% (Q2: -3.0% yoy) due to reduced Covid-19-related health expenditure.
Exports of goods and services growth moderated to 0.8% in Q3 (Q2: +9.0% yoy), due to falling foreign sales of mining and hydrocarbon products amid continued social unrest. Conversely, imports of goods and services growth sped up to 7.4% in Q3 (Q2: +2.2% yoy).
On a seasonally-adjusted quarter-on-quarter basis, GDP growth accelerated, increasing 1.2% in Q3, following the previous quarter’s 0.5% increase.
Our panelists expect Peru’s economic growth to remain weak next year, weighed on by falling real wages, decreasing investment due to policy uncertainty, and higher interest rates. Momentum will also be subdued amid a weak global growth panorama.
FocusEconomics panelists project the economy to grow 2.6% in 2023, which is down 0.1 percentage points from last month’s forecast, and 2.3% in 2024.
Peru - GDP Data
|Economic Growth (GDP, annual variation in %)||3.3||4.1||2.5||4.0||2.2|
5 years of economic forecasts for more than 30 economic indicators.
Peru GDP Chart
Source: Peru Central Bank and FocusEconomics calculations.
|Bond Yield||0.0||-0.60 %||Nov 08|
|Exchange Rate||3.31||-0.06 %||Jan 01|
Get a sample report showing our regional, country and commodities data and analysis.
Request a Trial
Start working with the reports used by the world’s major financial institutions, multinational enterprises & government agencies now. Click on the button below to get started.
November 21, 2022
GDP growth waned to 1.7% year on year in the third quarter from 3.3% in the second quarter.
November 18, 2022
Economic activity grew 1.7% compared to the same month of the previous year in September, which was a deterioration from August's 1.7% increase.
November 15, 2022
Merchandise exports declined 4.6% on an annual basis in September, on the heels of August’s 0.2% drop.
November 11, 2022
At its 10 November meeting, the Central Bank of Peru raised its key policy interest rate by 25 basis points to 7.25%, bringing the cumulative increase for the year to 475 basis points. The Bank continued to hike rates in order to limit elevated inflation and bring down inflation expectations, both of which remain well above the 1.0–3.0% target range.
November 7, 2022
Inflation came in at 8.3% in October, down from September’s 8.5%.