Turkey's Currency Crash Worsens Outlook for the Economy
Guest Author: Daniel Solomon, Economist, Euromonitor International
Turkey’s economy has deteriorated dramatically during the summer. The Turkish lira crashed by 33% in August 2018, bringing the total depreciation for 2018 to around 70%. Inflation in August reached 17.9% year-on-year, and the central bank raised its key interest rate from 8% to 17.75% during the summer. Both consumer and business confidence have dropped sharply. In September, Turkey’s central bank hiked interest rates once again to 24%.
Baseline outlook and forecast risks
Persistent current account deficits (exceeding 5% of GDP in 2017-2018), growing investor concerns about the impact on emerging markets of rising US interest rates, a general distrust of President Erdogan’s expansionary fiscal policy, together with the growing tensions between the US and Turkey, have all contributed to the recent currency collapse and rising interest rates. The central bank is likely to respond with further interest rate increases bringing its key interest rate close to 20% by the end of 2018. In combination with the lira’s depreciation and significant corporate foreign currency debt, this is likely to contribute to a large increase in business defaults and the proportion of non-performing bank loans, endangering Turkey’s banking sector.
Turkey Real GDP Growth under Alternative Scenarios: 2017-2020
Source: Euromonitor International’s Macro Model
Note: Data for Q2 2018 onwards is forecast. Scenarios start date is Q4 2018.
Tighter credit conditions and falling private sector confidence are likely to push Turkey’s economy into a contraction at the end of 2018. We have reduced our baseline forecast for Turkey’s GDP growth to 2.5-3.5 in 2018, followed by 1.3-2.7% GDP growth in 2019. We assign this baseline forecast a 20-30% probability over a 1-year horizon.
This baseline forecast is surrounded by major uncertainty. A worsening of the recent sell-off in Turkish financial markets and stronger declines in private sector sentiment would lead to a sharper growth slowdown, with GDP growth of -0.6% to 0.8% in 2019 (15-25% estimated probability over a 1-year horizon), or a more severe downturn with GDP contracting by 1.2-2.6% in 2019 (10-20% estimated probability over a 1-year horizon). On the upside, a diffusion of the current tensions with the US, and a positive investor response to the government’s medium-term fiscal programme to be presented in September, could boost confidence and reduce interest rates. Under this growth acceleration scenario, GDP growth could rise to 3.3-4.7% in 2019 (15-25% estimated probability over a 1-year horizon).
Contagion risks are limited
Spill-over risks from Turkey’s current currency crisis are modest. Most of Turkey’s government debt is domestically held, as is 80% of Turkey’s stock market, which only accounts for 0.5% of the MSCI Emerging Markets Index’ value. The exposure of Eurozone banks’ to Turkish assets represents less than 1% of GDP, with the exception of Spain where they represent 5-6% of GDP. There were some signs of Emerging Markets contagion in August, with a significant depreciation in the South African Rand and a worsening of the Argentine Peso’s depreciation. However, these countries already had significant previous vulnerabilities, with Argentina already in trouble before the recent Turkish lira crash. Outside of these isolated cases there are no strong signs of contagion. Nevertheless an Emerging Markets slowdown remains one of the main risks for the global economy for 2018-2019, potentially reducing annual GDP growth in Emerging Markets by 1-3% over a 3-year horizon. We currently assign this scenario an 8-13% probability over a 1-year horizon.
Emerging Markets Slowdown: 3-Year Average Annual GDP Impact
Source: Euromonitor International's Macro Model
Note: GDP impact is calculated as a difference between the baseline and scenario real GDP growth, expressed as an average annual difference during the first 3 years after the scenario start date.
For further enquiries, please contact Daniel Solomon, Economist, at Daniel.Solomon@euromonitor.com.
About the Author
Daniel Solomon joined Euromonitor International in 2011 and is responsible for macro-economic modelling and analysis. His areas of expertise include business cycles, financial markets and the macroeconomy, dynamic general equilibrium models and applied macro econometrics. Daniel holds a Master of Science in Management/Finance from Queen’s University - Queen’s School of Business, Canada, a Master of Arts in Economics from McGill University, Canada and a Ph.D. in Economics from the Université de Montréal, Canada.
Euromonitor International is the world's leading independent provider of strategic market research. With 15 offices around the world and in-country analysts in over 100 countries, Euromonitor International provides statistics, analysis and reports, as well as breaking news on industries, economies and consumers worldwide. We connect market research to your company goals and annual planning by analysing market context, competitor insight and future trends impacting businesses worldwide.
5-year economic forecasts on 30+ economic indicators for 127 countries & 30 commodities.
Date: September 19, 2018
TagsOPEC Precious Metals Commodities Healthcare Mexico South Africa India Eurozone Investment Brazil precious metals Company News Russia Economic Growth (GDP) Italy Forex Agricultural Commodities Latin America United Kingdom Energy Commodities oil prices Exchange Rate Consensus Forecast Colombia Germany Brexit China Oil Venezuela Ukraine Vietnam Inflation Japan Australia Unemployment rate Greece Euro Area Housing Market IMF USA European Union Turkey Argentina UK Portugal TPP Sub-Saharan Africa Canada Commodities G7 Base Metals Commodities Emerging Markets Iran Gold France Tunisia Bitcoin Africa Eastern Europe United States Cryptocurrency Spain Infographic Nordic Economies Trade Asia MENA Major Economies Banking Sector
Sub-Saharan Africa 2019 outlook downgraded - https://t.co/FaeLGGIpBz
22 hours ago
We have a brand new webinar in which Senior Economist Angela Bouzanis explains the key risks to the Eurozone's outl… https://t.co/txahwK3MnR
1 day ago
1 day ago
2 days ago
Mexico's short-term growth prospects were bruised in recent weeks by the policy uncertainty surrounding AMLO’s nasc… https://t.co/0JbiJGTTLL
2 days ago
- The Four Financial Bubbles and Their Impact on the U.S. Economy
- The Poorest Countries in the World
- Italy: The sick man of Europe
- What does Bolsonaro's presidential win mean for Brazil's economic outlook?
- The World's Top 10 Largest Economies
- In Latin America, taxpayers are tapped to shoulder the burden of a bank bailout
- How and when will the next financial crisis happen? - 26 experts weigh in
- China and Africa: A partnership under the spotlight
- The conditions are ripe for a Global Financial Crisis 2.0
- Uncertainty, instability and fear haunt a generation of Argentinians
- 5 things: What to expect for Mexico's economy in 2019
- 5 things: Brazil's economic downturn and what to expect going forward
- Emerging Market Currency Crisis: Everything you need to know
- Which ASEAN countries are most exposed in the event of a U.S.-China trade war?
- 75 Top Economics Influencers to Follow
- Emerging Markets Economic Outlook 2018 and 2019
- The Faces Behind Latin America’s Key Institutions
- 2019 Economic Outlook for the Top Oil Producing Countries
- Is your cup of coffee about to get more expensive going in to 2019?
- The Economic Implications of an Aging Global Population
- Can the Wisdom of the Crowds predict the results of the 2018 World Cup?
- Railway Mania: The Largest Speculative Bubble You’ve Never Heard Of
- From Riches to Rags: Have Cryptocurrencies Crashed for Good?
- Investment looks to Latin America, but forecasts are not encouraging
- Turkey: Erdogan has cemented his grip on power - now what about the economy?
- How can Latin America’s business environment benefit from technological change?
- Mexico: A look at the past, present and future as elections yield AMLO victory
- Italy’s New Populist Government and the Eurozone: Prelude to a Crisis?
- Latin America moves toward increased integration as U.S. protectionism grows
- How can Latin America increase productivity without affecting the quality of employment?
- How will Saudi Arabia's economy benefit from lifting the women's driving ban?
- Which countries are the most prepared for the upcoming digital revolution?
- India Under Pressure from the U.S. on Trade Policy
- The Story of Steel
- Latin America is the World Leader in eCommerce Growth Despite Serious Challenges
- What the TPP means for trade in Latin America
- Elections in Russia: Analysis and Implications
- Nearly a Third of Latin Americans Have No Right to a Pension
- A Look at Healthcare Models Around the World
- Newly-elected Chilean President Sebastian Piñera faces a myriad of challenges - economic and otherwise
- The Economic Effects of Trade Protectionism
- Regional Disparity: The Dark Side of Inequality in Latin America
- Coal: The story of the world's most abundant fossil fuel
- Gold: The Most Precious of Metals (Part 3)
- Venezuela's Electoral Conundrum
- Trump's 1st Year: 95 Analysts Surveyed on U.S. Economy
- The Latest on China and What's in Store for 2018
- An in-depth look at the Eurozone’s booming economy and the challenges that lurk in the shadows
- Increasing poverty in Latin America takes a breather thanks to improving economic dynamics
- What will be the most miserable economies in 2018?
- Is Spain doing enough to address its high youth unemployment rate?
- Has Latin America gone far enough in reducing barriers to international trade?
- Commodities Outlook: Oil, Natural Gas, Coal, Lead & Tin
- 21 experts tell us what the future looks like for cryptocurrencies and blockchain
- Turkish lira plummets to all-time low on Erdogan’s monetary feud and tense U.S.-Turkey relations
- Copper: The first metal mastered by man
- Nigerian Economy Still Treading Water Thanks to Oil Sector
- The Mercosur-EU Free Trade Agreement: Obstacles & Opportunities
- Elections in Chile: What the results could mean for the economy
- QE’s Untold Story: A Chart That Fed Correspondents Need To Investigate
- Holland’s fragile one-seat majority government targets economic growth at the expense of fiscal sustainability
- South Africa: Economy at a tipping point?
- Latin American Commodities: What’s behind the increase in demand and prices?
- Is the UK really "shackled to a corpse"?
- Spain-Catalonia: 7 economic experts weigh in on how the situation will affect the outlook
- How well is Spain's labor market doing since the crisis?
- Which countries will have the highest and lowest inflation in 2017?
- How vulnerable is Latin America to economic crises today?
- Iron ore facts and common questions answered
- The bulging economic costs of obesity
- How much investment is needed to salvage Latin America’s crumbling infrastructure?
- A Look at the Potential Impact of Brexit on the Dutch Economy
- Emerging Markets Are Kicking Into Higher Gear In 2017
- Why is foreign direct investment in Latin America falling again?
- Are Central Banks Nationalising the Economy?
- Bounty or burden? The impact of refugees on European economies is far from clear
- What’s the future of U.S.-Latin America trade relations?
- Taxes or cutbacks? Latin America's challenge of sustaining spending without causing debt to skyrocket
- Are uranium prices making a comeback?
- Taxing the Economy: Achieving a Delicate Balance
- How will Latin America’s upcoming lengthy election cycle affect the reform agenda and credit ratings?
- How will emerging market economies perform in 2017?
- Chilean Economy in Focus: Interview with Senior Economist of the Chamber of Commerce of Santiago
- CEOs Rank Top Economies for Growth Opportunities
- The Mobile Ecosystem & Latin America's Economy
- Prospects and Challenges for the Global Economy: Interview with Tim Cooper from BMI Research
- How will the Fed reduce its balance sheet & and how will the ECB end QE? - 19 economic experts weigh in
- Thoughts on "unwinding" QE from Frances Coppola
- The Fed and ECB at a crossroads: Unwinding QE
- Spain: The economy that continues to silence the critics
- Latin America: The Most Unequal Region in the World
- The History of OPEC: Has it been a Success?
- FocusEconomics Announces 2017 Analyst Forecast Awards Winners
- Latin America’s rising unemployment bucks nearly decade long trend
- Escape from the Central Bank Trap by Daniel Lacalle
- China's economic rebalancing act: What to look out for in 2017
- Driving Growth in Latin America: Challenges & Priorities
- Is the Global Economy Rebalancing?
- Commodity exporters face challenging times
- Recent Global Events Facilitate Mercosur-Pacific Alliance
- 23 economic experts weigh in: Why is productivity growth so low?
- Mexico's outlook as Trump nears 100-day mark
- Interview with Oxford Economics Senior Economist on implications of the possible outcomes of the French Presidential Election
- The anxiety of the small saver in a world of negative interest rates
- Brexit negotiations. Between Uncertainty and Urgency
- An Economic History of the EU from El Blog Salmón
- Baby Boomin': Implications of high population growth in Latin America
- Survey of International Economists Predicts a Le Pen Defeat in French Elections, Says Macron has Best Economic Plan
- Spain in a global context: developed economy with some challenges
- How much is crime costing Latin America?
- Predictions & Estimates from Economist Daniel Lacalle
- What economy will the new Dutch government inherit?
- “The data is not a true reflection of reality in India” Interview with Société Générale India Economist
- What are the prospects for Emerging Economies in 2017?
- What to expect in Asia for 2017
- Top Economics & Finance Blogs of 2017
- Latam to Resume Moderate Growth in 2017 but Important Risks Plague Outlook
- 4 Key European Elections That Will Impact the Economy in 2017
- How are security concerns and political chaos affecting Turkey’s economy?
- Global growth to edge up in 2017
- Set to breach targets again? Debt and deficit outlooks for Southern European Eurozone countries in 2016 & 2017
- What does Donald Trump mean for the U.S. economy?
- How will emerging markets perform in 2017?
- The economic impact of a break in U.S.-Philippines ties
- Trump election: Base metals surge due to infrastructure plan
- 5 updates on the Venezuelan economic crisis
- Canada: When your neighbor’s house is on fire…
- Short-term pain before long-term gain? A look at French labor reform and economic growth
- Asia: Unremarkable growth & unfulfilled promises?
- How India's latest monsoon is affecting the economy
- Innovation in Latin America: Potential Goes Untapped Due to Weak Economic Conditions
- Russian economy update in wake of OPEC deal announcement
- The Wisdom of the Crowds and the Consensus Forecast
- Can the peso predict the U.S. election results?
- There's no end in sight to the Venezuela crisis
- A Look at the European Union Political Calendar
- Survey of international economists shows uncertainty surrounding elections damaging U.S. growth prospects
- FocusEconomics partners with leading online statistics provider Statista
- China: Recent postive economic data may be papering over the cracks
- Sub-Saharan Africa's 2016 & 2017 growth rates
- The Italian Dilemma: Weak banks pose risk to already faltering domestic demand
- How much money do migrants from Latin America send home?
- The U.S.' (Not So) Mysterious Case of the Missing Men
- What to expect from the G20 economies by 2020
- The Pain in Spain: Robust GDP growth cannot mask the persistent structural deficit