Finland GDP

Finland

Finland: Growth accelerates in the second quarter on a stronger domestic sector

September 5, 2011

In the second quarter, GDP expanded a seasonally adjusted 0.6% over the previous quarter. The reading doubled the revised 0.3% expansion recorded in the first quarter (previously reported: +0.8% quarter-on-quarter). Compared to the same period last year, the economy increased 2.9% in working-day adjusted terms. The acceleration over the previous quarter was underpinned by developments in the domestic sector, with domestic demand picking up 1.4% (Q1: +0.7% qoq). Total consumption accelerated amid stronger private consumption, which also rose from a 0.7% expansion in the first quarter to a 1.4% increase, while government spending declined 0.1% (Q1: +0.2% qoq). In addition, fixed investment expanded 2.1%, up from the 0.5% increase observed in the first quarter. Exports contracted 7.1% over the previous quarter, which came on top of a 5.1% decline in the first quarter. In contrast, imports swung from a 4.0% contraction in the first quarter to a flat reading. As a result, the contribution from the external sector to overall growth dropped from minus 0.9 percentage points in the first quarter to minus 3.3 percentage points in the second quarter.


Author:,

Sample Report

Looking for forecasts related to GDP in Finland? Download a sample report now.

Download




Finland Economic News

  • Finland: Inflation slows in May

    June 14, 2019

    Consumer prices fell 0.2% in May compared to the previous month, contrasting the 0.6% rise logged in April.

    Read more

  • Finland: Economic growth jumps in April on resurgent manufacturing and construction

    June 14, 2019

    Economic activity grew a working-day adjusted 2.8% in April compared to the same month a year earlier, up from March’s revised 0.9% increase (previously reported: +1.1% year-on-year).

    Read more

  • Finland: Current account deficit widens to a multi-decade high

    June 14, 2019

    The current account balance slumped to a EUR 4.2 billion deficit in April, deteriorating from March’s revised EUR 0.24 billion shortfall (previously reported: EUR 0.47 billion deficit) and representing the lowest reading since contemporary records began in January 2006. The main reason for April’s slump was a massive downturn in the primary income account balance, which was itself caused by a strong increase in investment income debits on the back of international company restructurings at the end of last year. In the 12 months leading up to April, the current account balance totaled a EUR 5.3 billion deficit, representing a deterioration from the EUR 1.9 billion shortfall in March. The trade balance fell to a EUR 0.2 billion deficit in April, contrasting the EUR 0.2 billion surplus in March.

    Read more

  • Finland: Growth slumps in Q1

    May 29, 2019

    Economic growth slowed to 0.2% in seasonally-adjusted quarter-on-quarter terms in Q1 2019, according to a second GDP release by Statistics Finland.

    Read more

  • Finland: Current account deficit widens in March

    May 15, 2019

    The current account balance fell to a EUR 0.47 billion deficit in March, down from February’s revised EUR 0.15 billion shortfall (previously reported: EUR 0.04 billion deficit).

    Read more

More news

Search form