Japan Inflation

Japan

Japan: Core consumer prices continue to fall in June

July 27, 2012

In June, the core consumer price index, which excludes volatile fresh food prices, fell 0.3% in seasonally adjusted terms over the previous month. The decline followed May's 0.2% drop and marked the steepest fall since July 2010. According to the statistics bureau, lower prices were seen almost across the board, particularly in the transportation and communication as well as in the culture and recreation categories. As a result, core consumer prices declined 0.2% in June over the same month last year, which was below both the 0.1% drop seen in May and market expectations that had inflation remaining flat. Meanwhile, overall consumer prices fell 0.1% in June over the same month last year, contrasting the 0.2% rise recorded in May. The core consumer price index for Tokyo, which is available one month before the national figures and thus is a leading indicator for countrywide inflation, fell 0.6% in July over the same month last year. The print mirrored the previous month's result and matched market expectations. According to the median of the Central Bank Policy Board members forecast, core inflation will average 0.2% in the 2012 fiscal year ending in March 2013. In FY 2013/14, the Bank of Japan sees core inflation at 0.7%.


Author:,

Sample Report

Looking for forecasts related to Inflation in Japan? Download a sample report now.

Download




Japan Economic News

  • Japan: Machinery orders decline in May

    July 11, 2018

    Although core machinery orders—a leading indicator of capital spending over a three- to six-month period—contracted in May, the fall was weaker-than-expected, suggesting that capital expenditure will gain steam further down the road.

    Read more

  • Japan: Business confidence weakens in Q2

    July 2, 2018

    According to the Bank of Japan’s quarterly Tankan business survey, sentiment among large manufacturers fell in the second quarter of 2018, suggesting economic momentum has yet to gain traction following a weak first quarter.

    Read more

  • Japan: Consumer confidence declines marginally in June

    June 29, 2018

    Consumer sentiment inched down to 43.7 in June from 43.8 in May, coming in just below market expectations of a stable print.

    Read more

  • Japan: Industrial production falls in May

    June 29, 2018

    Industrial production contracted 0.2% on a month-on-month and seasonally-adjusted basis in May, contrasting April’s revised 0.5% increase (previously reported: +0.3% month-on-month).

    Read more

  • Japan: Core inflation stable in May

    June 22, 2018

    The core consumer price index rose 0.1% in month-on-month seasonally-adjusted terms in May, reversing April’s 0.1% fall. Core inflation was steady at 0.7% in May, unchanged from April and in line with market expectations.

    Read more

More news

Search form