Blog posts tagged by tag: Brexit
Written by Jan Lammersen, Economist
The effects of Brexit on both individual Eurozone countries and the area as a whole remain shrouded in uncertainty. While negotiations on the United Kingdom’s divorce from the European Union are still under way, Westminster has released several policy papers to date, none of which were found to be “satisfactory” by the president of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker. Speaking at a conference of EU ambassadors in late August, Juncker commented:
“We need to be crystal clear that we will commence no negotiations on the new relationship—particularly a new economic and trade relationship—between the UK and the EU before all these questions are resolved.”
It’s been a little over a month since the UK voted to leave the European Union in one of the biggest and most unexpected political events to happen since the turn of the century and arguably going back even farther than that. Apart from the political shakeup this has caused, the impact of the Brexit has far reaching economic consequences as well. We here at FocusEconomics, needless to say, have been working tirelessly to bring you forecasts and analysis for the UK economy and the rest of the world since the unprecedented Brexit vote.
In the immediate aftermath of the vote we came out with new post-Brexit forecasts and analysis for the UK economy and a few weeks later we had a revised set of forecasts for the UK. Subsequently, we updated or forecasts and analysis with Brexit in mind for Latin America, the ASEAN region, East & South Asia, and Sub-Saharan Africa.
Finally, without further ado, we have the all-important post-Brexit forecasts and outlook for the Eurozone economy. In the following post we present you with our updated forecasts and analysis for the Eurozone along with comments and individual forecasts from the likes of Danske Bank and BNP Paribas. We also have additional analysis on the Euro Area and our Global Economic Outlook, in case you’re interested in further reading.
2017 is shaping up to be a tough year for the UK post-Brexit. Economic analysts are projecting the economy to decelerate substantially to just 0.3% growth, fixed investment is seen falling drastically, exports are expected to plummet, the pound has taken quite a tumble... and that's just the beginning. Have a look at the latest forecasts for the UK:
Click the infographic to open a full-sized version
The EU Referendum results came as a shock to many last week with the immediate effects having reverberated across Europe and the world impacting global financial markets heavily. The immediate effects of the so-called ‘Brexit’ have been widely reported, however, what remains to be seen is the economic impact of the Brexit in the longer-term. That, of course, is still unknown, but the media consensus to date seems to be that the future of the UK’s economy is bleak.
Needless to say, we here at FocusEconomics have had a lot of work over the last few days since the UK voted to leave the EU last Thursday. We have frantically contacted our global network of economic analysts, investment banks, and think tanks to collect their updated forecasts in the wake of the Brexit vote. Luckily, we were able to collect quite a few to compile an up-to-date post-Brexit Consensus Forecast for the UK. Some of our analysts were also generous enough to gives a few quotes with their views on the situation.
Give this blog post a read through to get some of the highlights of our Brexit Economic Impact report where we detail the effect the Brexit has had on UK GDP growth forecasts accompanied by comments from leading economic institutions.
Also, don’t forget to have a look at our UK economic outlook page and our global economic outlook page for up-to-date economic data and analysis post-Brexit. Get a copy of our UK after the Brexit report here.
Click the infographic to open a full-sized version
TagsVenezuela China Asia Brazil Oil Sub-Saharan Africa European Union Investment Infographic Eastern Europe Precious Metals Commodities Forex G7 Spain Panelists Canada Nordic Economies MENA Vietnam Industrial Metals Commodities India Portugal South Africa Base Metals Commodities Emerging Markets Germany Brexit Company News Consensus Forecast Inflation Housing Market Africa Trade Italy Latin America Euro Area NAFTA USA Japan Unemployment rate Energy Commodities Banking Sector France Iran Agricultural Commodities Russia precious metals UK Colombia Argentina United Kingdom IMF oil prices Commodities Gold Exchange Rate Latin America Ukraine Euro Area Turkey OPEC NAFTA Major Economies Mexico Tunisia Greece Fed Australia Economic Growth (GDP)
24 minutes ago
1 hour ago
2 hours ago
19 hours ago
Economic activity is expected to increase in many emerging markets this year, however, the improvement won't be fel… https://t.co/HNQBZZZO56
20 hours ago
- Increasing poverty in Latin America takes a breather thanks to improving economic dynamics
- What will be the most miserable economies in 2018?
- The World's Top 10 Largest Economies
- Is Spain doing enough to address its high youth unemployment rate?
- Has Latin America gone far enough in reducing barriers to international trade?
- Commodities Outlook: Oil, Natural Gas, Coal, Lead & Tin
- 21 experts tell us what the future looks like for cryptocurrencies and blockchain
- Turkish lira plummets to all-time low on Erdogan’s monetary feud and tense U.S.-Turkey relations
- Copper: The first metal mastered by man
- The Mercosur-EU Free Trade Agreement: Obstacles & Opportunities
- Nigerian Economy Still Treading Water Thanks to Oil Sector
- Elections in Chile: What the results could mean for the economy
- QE’s Untold Story: A Chart That Fed Correspondents Need To Investigate
- Holland’s fragile one-seat majority government targets economic growth at the expense of fiscal sustainability
- South Africa: Economy at a tipping point?
- Latin American Commodities: What’s behind the increase in demand and prices?
- Is the UK really "shackled to a corpse"?
- Spain-Catalonia: 7 economic experts weigh in on how the situation will affect the outlook
- How well is Spain's labor market doing since the crisis?
- Which countries will have the highest and lowest inflation in 2017?
- How vulnerable is Latin America to economic crises today?
- Iron ore facts and common questions answered
- The bulging economic costs of obesity
- How much investment is needed to salvage Latin America’s crumbling infrastructure?
- A Look at the Potential Impact of Brexit on the Dutch Economy
- Emerging Markets Are Kicking Into Higher Gear In 2017
- Why is foreign direct investment in Latin America falling again?
- Are Central Banks Nationalising the Economy?
- Bounty or burden? The impact of refugees on European economies is far from clear
- What’s the future of U.S.-Latin America trade relations?
- Taxes or cutbacks? Latin America's challenge of sustaining spending without causing debt to skyrocket
- Are uranium prices making a comeback?
- Taxing the Economy: Achieving a Delicate Balance
- How will emerging market economies perform in 2017?
- How will Latin America’s upcoming lengthy election cycle affect the reform agenda and credit ratings?
- Chilean Economy in Focus: Interview with Senior Economist of the Chamber of Commerce of Santiago
- CEOs Rank Top Economies for Growth Opportunities
- The Mobile Ecosystem & Latin America's Economy
- Prospects and Challenges for the Global Economy: Interview with Tim Cooper from BMI Research
- How will the Fed reduce its balance sheet & and how will the ECB end QE? - 19 economic experts weigh in
- Thoughts on "unwinding" QE from Frances Coppola
- Gold: The Most Precious of Metals (Part 3)
- The Fed and ECB at a crossroads: Unwinding QE
- Spain: The economy that continues to silence the critics
- Latin America: The Most Unequal Region in the World
- The History of OPEC: Has it been a Success?
- FocusEconomics Announces 2017 Analyst Forecast Awards Winners
- Latin America’s rising unemployment bucks nearly decade long trend
- Escape from the Central Bank Trap by Daniel Lacalle
- China's economic rebalancing act: What to look out for in 2017
- Driving Growth in Latin America: Challenges & Priorities
- Is the Global Economy Rebalancing?
- Commodity exporters face challenging times
- Recent Global Events Facilitate Mercosur-Pacific Alliance
- 23 economic experts weigh in: Why is productivity growth so low?
- Mexico's outlook as Trump nears 100-day mark
- Interview with Oxford Economics Senior Economist on implications of the possible outcomes of the French Presidential Election
- The anxiety of the small saver in a world of negative interest rates
- Brexit negotiations. Between Uncertainty and Urgency
- An Economic History of the EU from El Blog Salmón
- Baby Boomin': Implications of high population growth in Latin America
- Survey of International Economists Predicts a Le Pen Defeat in French Elections, Says Macron has Best Economic Plan
- Spain in a global context: developed economy with some challenges
- How much is crime costing Latin America?
- Predictions & Estimates from Economist Daniel Lacalle
- What economy will the new Dutch government inherit?
- “The data is not a true reflection of reality in India” Interview with Société Générale India Economist
- 2017 & 2018 Economic Outlook for the Top Oil Producing Countries
- What are the prospects for Emerging Economies in 2017?
- What to expect in Asia for 2017
- Top Economics & Finance Blogs of 2017
- Latam to Resume Moderate Growth in 2017 but Important Risks Plague Outlook
- 4 Key European Elections That Will Impact the Economy in 2017
- How are security concerns and political chaos affecting Turkey’s economy?
- Global growth to edge up in 2017
- Set to breach targets again? Debt and deficit outlooks for Southern European Eurozone countries in 2016 & 2017
- What does Donald Trump mean for the U.S. economy?
- How will emerging markets perform in 2017?
- The economic impact of a break in U.S.-Philippines ties
- Trump election: Base metals surge due to infrastructure plan
- 5 updates on the Venezuelan economic crisis
- Canada: When your neighbor’s house is on fire…
- Short-term pain before long-term gain? A look at French labor reform and economic growth
- Asia: Unremarkable growth & unfulfilled promises?
- How India's latest monsoon is affecting the economy
- Innovation in Latin America: Potential Goes Untapped Due to Weak Economic Conditions
- Russian economy update in wake of OPEC deal announcement
- The Wisdom of the Crowds and the Consensus Forecast
- Can the peso predict the U.S. election results?
- There's no end in sight to the Venezuela crisis
- A Look at the European Union Political Calendar
- Survey of international economists shows uncertainty surrounding elections damaging U.S. growth prospects
- FocusEconomics partners with leading online statistics provider Statista
- China: Recent postive economic data may be papering over the cracks
- Sub-Saharan Africa's 2016 & 2017 growth rates
- The Italian Dilemma: Weak banks pose risk to already faltering domestic demand
- How much money do migrants from Latin America send home?
- The U.S.' (Not So) Mysterious Case of the Missing Men
- What to expect from the G20 economies by 2020
- The Pain in Spain: Robust GDP growth cannot mask the persistent structural deficit
- Acting Man
- Alberto Forchielli
- Don't worry, I'm an economist
- Econometrics Beat: Dave Giles' Blog
- Economic Principals
- Edward Hugh Blog
- Financial Services (About.com)
- Kunal's thoughts
- Marc to Market
- Miles Kimball
- Morss Global Finance
- Of Markets & Men
- Owen Zidar
- Punto de Vista Economico
- The Capital Spectator
- True Economics