In the fourth quarter, GDP contracted a seasonally and working-day adjusted 0.1% over the previous quarter, according to a preliminary estimate released by the Austrian Institute of Economic Research (WIFO) on 15 February. The reading contrasted the revised 0.2% expansion recorded in the third quarter (initially reported: +0.3% quarter-on-quarter). Compared to the same period the year before, GDP decelerated from a 2.5% increase in Q3 to a 1.2% expansion in Q4. The fourth quarter contraction was mainly the result of a deterioration in the external sector. Exports of goods and services contracted 0.5% over the previous quarter, which more than doubled the 0.2% decline observed in the third quarter. Imports swung from a 0.2% expansion in Q3 to a 0.1% contraction in Q4. Meanwhile, total consumption decelerated due to a slowdown in both private consumption (Q3: +0.3% qoq; Q4: +0.2% qoq) as well as government consumption (Q3: +0.4% qoq; Q4: +0.1% qoq). Gross fixed invested also slowed down and grew 0.6% in Q4, down from the 1.0% rise in Q3. According to WIFO, the economy grew 3.1% in the full year 2011, beating the 2.3% expansion recorded in 2010. The annual reading marked the strongest growth rate since 2007. However, WIFO recently stated that prospects for future economic development are less favourable. Accordingly, the Institute expects GDP growth to slow to 0.4% this year before accelerating again to 1.6% in 2013. For its part, the Central Bank sees economic activity growing 0.7% this year in its December Macroeconomic Report. For 2013, monetary authorities expect the economy to expand 1.6%.
Economy contracts in fourth quarter
February 15, 2012
Looking for forecasts related to GDP in Austria? Download a sample report now.
Austria Economic News
September 29, 2016
In September, the Bank Austria Manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) came in at 53.5, which was up from August’s 52.1.
September 23, 2016
In July, industrial production fell 0.6% over the previous month in seasonally-adjusted terms.
August 31, 2016
The consumer confidence index elaborated by Fessel-GfK deteriorated slightly in August, ending three consecutive months of improvement.
August 30, 2016
In August, the manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) produced by Bank Austria came in at 52.1, which was down from July’s 53.4.
August 29, 2016
The economy lost steam in the second quarter of 2016, according to the revised data released by the Austrian Institute of Economic Research (WIFO) on 29 August.