In the first quarter, GDP contracted 0.2% in seasonally adjusted terms over the previous quarter, which follows on the 0.7% decline in the previous quarter and marks, in fact, the third consecutive quarterly drop. On an annual basis, the economy contracted 1.1%, down from the 0.6% drop registered in the fourth quarter. Gross fixed investment contracted 0.6% over the previous quarter, which came on top of a 0.8% decline in the October-December period. Simultaneously, total consumption was flat over the previous quarter, which followed the 0.3% contraction seen in Q4, as private consumption rose 0.2% whereas government consumption contracted 0.1%. The contribution of the external sector to overall economic growth improved somewhat, as exports outpaced imports. Exports of goods and services rebounded from a 0.3% contraction in the fourth quarter to a 4.2% increase in the first, while imports swung from a 0.1% decline in the fourth quarter to a 4.1% expansion. The government expects the economy to contract 0.5% this year.
Economy remains in recession
May 15, 2012
Looking for forecasts related to GDP in Netherlands? Download a sample report now.
Netherlands Economic News
October 20, 2016
Dutch consumer sentiment rose markedly in October.
October 3, 2016
The NEVI Manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI), produced by IHS Markit and NEVI, decreased marginally from 53.5 in August to 53.4 in September.
September 29, 2016
The producer confidence indicator, which measures Dutch manufacturers’ sentiment, increased from August’s 1.2 to 3.4 in September, according to the Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS), thus moving further above the 0-point threshold that separates optimistic from pessimistic sentiment. According to the CBS, the improvement reflected that producers had become more positive regarding order books and future output over the next three months but less positive about their stocks of finished products.
September 23, 2016
Dutch economic growth held steady in the second quarter of the year on the back of robust fixed investment, while lackluster performance in the external sector and subdued household and government consumption dragged on the overall result.
September 20, 2016
Dutch consumer sentiment improved notably in September.