In the fourth quarter, GDP expanded 1.7% over the previous quarter in seasonally and working-day adjusted terms, according to the flash estimate published by the National Statistical Institute on 15 February. The fourth quarter reading represents an acceleration compared to the 0.3% expansion observed in the third quarter. Compared to the same period the previous year, GDP rose 2.1%. The acceleration over the third quarter was mainly driven by a strong rebound in private consumption, which expanded 4.3% quarter-on-quarter (Q3: -4.0% qoq). Meanwhile, gross fixed investment improved from growth of 1.0% in the third quarter to a 2.9% expansion in Q4. However, the net contribution from the external sector to overall economic growth deteriorated, as imports expanded and exports declined. Exports of goods and services contracted 3.9% over the previous quarter, contrasting the 9.1% expansion in the third quarter. Meanwhile, imports rebounded from a 2.2% contraction in the third quarter to expand 2.3% in the fourth.
Economic growth accelerates in the fourth quarter
February 15, 2011
Looking for forecasts related to GDP in Bulgaria? Download a sample report now.
Bulgaria Economic News
October 12, 2016
In September, consumer prices decreased 0.5% from the previous month, which followed the 0.1% decline recorded in August.
October 7, 2016
In August, industrial production grew 2.6% from the same month last year in working-day adjusted terms, accelerating from July’s 2.3% increase.
September 13, 2016
In August, consumer prices decreased 0.1% over the previous month, which contrasted the sharp 1.0% increase recorded in July.
September 5, 2016
Revised data released on 5 September confirmed that the economy expanded 3.0% over the same period last year in Q2.
August 12, 2016
In the second quarter, the economy expanded 3.0% over the same period last year, according to preliminary data released on 12 August.