Blog posts tagged by tag: Unemployment rate
It’s been some time since the United States was considered to be amid the Great Recession, a period of general economic decline that spanned from the late 2000s until, depending on who you talk to or what source you are using, sometime in 2015. One of the big effects of the Great Recession, was very high unemployment in the US. At the height of the Great Recession, in October of 2009, unemployment peaked at 10%. Way back in January of this year, Timothy Taylor, the Conversable Economist, wrote a post on the unemployment rate falling and falling fast on its way to pre-Great Recession levels, “the unemployment rate in the last three years has fallen by more than even the most optimistic member of the Federal Reserve Open Market Committee believed was likely.”
Fast forward to 2 September, the monthly jobs report was released by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics that found that unemployment was at 4.9% for the third month in a row. So, the number has halved since the Great Recession, which sounds like great news, right? Not so fast. There are concerns that the statistic is masking a greater problem: The mystery of disappearing men from the workforce.
50 analysts surveyed by FocusEconomics expect Eurozone unemployment rate to average 10.4% this year:
Tunisia’s important tourism sector has been drastically impacted by three high-profile terrorist attacks this year, the most recent of which took place in late November in downtown Tunis. As Tunisia ramps up security in its ongoing effort to combat militants within its own borders, thousands of Tunisians are believed to have taken up arms and joined opposition forces in Syria, mainly with Al-Nusra and the Islamic State (ISIL). Such extremism and attacks have devastating human costs, as well as far-reaching implications for economic growth. President Beji Caid Essebsi has declared a “war against terrorism” in response to the latest attacks; hopefully he will not overlook including pro-growth reforms in his arsenal.
TagsEastern Europe Financial Sector Oil Trade Greece Sub-Saharan Africa Brazil Panelists Consensus Forecast precious metals Tunisia G7 Iran Brexit Australia Japan Spain Mexico Africa Russia Asia Housing Market Fed Unemployment rate oil prices UK Ukraine Canada MENA Gold Exchange Rate OPEC Agricultural Commodities Germany Major Economies Emerging Markets Argentina Infographic China Precious Metals Commodities Euro Area Base Metals Commodities Investment Banking Sector European Union World Bank South Africa Commodities Inflation Italy Latin America United States Venezuela Portugal Energy Commodities USA IMF Colombia Company News Forex Turkey Vietnam India France Economic Growth (GDP) Industrial Metals Commodities Nordic Economies
6 minutes ago
36 minutes ago
1 hour ago
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
- The History of OPEC: Has it been a Success?
- FocusEconomics Announces 2017 Analyst Forecast Awards Winners
- Latin America’s rising unemployment bucks nearly decade long trend
- Escape from the Central Bank Trap by Daniel Lacalle
- China's economic rebalancing act: What to look out for in 2017
- Driving Growth in Latin America: Challenges & Priorities
- Is the Global Economy Rebalancing?
- Commodity exporters face challenging times
- Recent Global Events Facilitate Mercosur-Pacific Alliance
- 23 economic experts weigh in: Why is productivity growth so low?
- Mexico's outlook as Trump nears 100-day mark
- Interview with Oxford Economics Senior Economist on implications of the possible outcomes of the French Presidential Election
- The anxiety of the small saver in a world of negative interest rates
- Brexit negotiations. Between Uncertainty and Urgency
- An Economic History of the EU from El Blog Salmón
- Baby Boomin': Implications of high population growth in Latin America
- Survey of International Economists Predicts a Le Pen Defeat in French Elections, Says Macron has Best Economic Plan
- Spain in a global context: developed economy with some challenges
- How much is crime costing Latin America?
- Predictions & Estimates from Economist Daniel Lacalle
- What economy will the new Dutch government inherit?
- “The data is not a true reflection of reality in India” Interview with Société Générale India Economist
- 2017 & 2018 Economic Outlook for the Top Oil Producing Countries
- Which countries will have the highest and lowest inflation in 2017?
- What are the prospects for Emerging Economies in 2017?
- What to expect in Asia for 2017
- Top Economics & Finance Blogs of 2017
- Latam to Resume Moderate Growth in 2017 but Important Risks Plague Outlook
- 4 Key European Elections That Will Impact the Economy in 2017
- How are security concerns and political chaos affecting Turkey’s economy?
- Global growth to edge up in 2017
- Set to breach targets again? Debt and deficit outlooks for Southern European Eurozone countries in 2016 & 2017
- What does Donald Trump mean for the U.S. economy?
- How will emerging markets perform in 2017?
- The economic impact of a break in U.S.-Philippines ties
- Trump election: Base metals surge due to infrastructure plan
- 5 updates on the Venezuelan economic crisis
- Canada: When your neighbor’s house is on fire…
- Short-term pain before long-term gain? A look at French labor reform and economic growth
- Asia: Unremarkable growth & unfulfilled promises?
- How India's latest monsoon is affecting the economy
- Russian economy update in wake of OPEC deal announcement
- Innovation in Latin America: Potential Goes Untapped Due to Weak Economic Conditions
- The Wisdom of the Crowds and the Consensus Forecast
- Can the peso predict the U.S. election results?
- There's no end in sight to the Venezuela crisis
- A Look at the European Union Political Calendar
- Survey of international economists shows uncertainty surrounding elections damaging U.S. growth prospects
- FocusEconomics partners with leading online statistics provider Statista
- China: Recent postive economic data may be papering over the cracks
- Sub-Saharan Africa's 2016 & 2017 growth rates
- The Italian Dilemma: Weak banks pose risk to already faltering domestic demand
- How much money do migrants from Latin America send home?
- The U.S.' (Not So) Mysterious Case of the Missing Men
- What to expect from the G20 economies by 2020
- The Pain in Spain: Robust GDP growth cannot mask the persistent structural deficit
- Acting Man
- Alberto Forchielli
- Don't worry, I'm an economist
- Econometrics Beat: Dave Giles' Blog
- Economic Principals
- Edward Hugh Blog
- Financial Services (About.com)
- Kunal's thoughts
- Marc to Market
- Miles Kimball
- Morss Global Finance
- Of Markets & Men
- Owen Zidar
- Punto de Vista Economico
- The Capital Spectator
- True Economics