Blog posts tagged by tag: Housing Market
Low interest rates and a supply shortage have turned Sweden into one of the hottest housing markets in the world. Swedish house prices have risen faster than almost any other developed country. Prices for flats in Gothenburg, Sweden’s second largest city, have doubled since 2007 and other cities are not far behind. An increasing urban population, high economic growth and accommodative monetary policy have pushed up housing prices and spurred a property boom. However, Sweden may soon become a victim of its own success, as high prices for homes begin to restrain Sweden’s growth potential.
It has been said, that aside from hockey, real estate is Canada’s national sport. But it is not all fun and games. A number of sources have claimed that the Canadian housing market, particularly in large Canadian cities, is overvalued, and has been for several years. An overvaluation implies an imbalance with a market correction down the line. Such an imbalance could have serious destabilizing effects on the Canadian economy and potentially the global economy depending upon the severity of the overvaluation and abruptness of the revaluation. While most analysts agree that an overvaluation does exist, no one seems able to agree on by how much. Estimates are varied; recent estimates from January have ranged from a modest 7% by the IMF to a whopping 60% by Deutsche Bank.
TagsPanelists G7 India Brazil OPEC Australia United States Fed Argentina Africa Mexico Housing Market Oil Consensus Forecast UK Infographic precious metals Portugal Turkey Base Metals Commodities Agricultural Commodities Russia Colombia Exchange Rate Nordic Economies Emerging Markets Euro Area Company News Brexit Iran Ukraine Commodities Sub-Saharan Africa Latin America Major Economies Banking Sector Trade Vietnam Germany Gold Tunisia Industrial Metals Commodities Spain MENA Energy Commodities France IMF Asia USA Unemployment rate Precious Metals Commodities Greece Forex Inflation Japan Economic Growth (GDP) Financial Sector Italy World Bank South Africa European Union Eastern Europe Venezuela China oil prices Investment Canada
2017 global outlook stable but important risks loom on the horizon: https://t.co/rh7kg3yK7H
13 minutes ago
42 minutes ago
Solid econo... - https://t.co/sM6rIvoEia
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Breaking - UK economic growth remains fairly limp in Q2 despite a slight uptick. Full story & new growth forecasts:… https://t.co/rNS7db1oPI
1 hour ago
- Are uranium prices making a comeback?
- Taxing the Economy: Achieving a Delicate Balance
- Is the UK really "shackled to a corpse"?
- How will Latin America’s upcoming lengthy election cycle affect the reform agenda and credit ratings?
- How will emerging market economies perform in 2017?
- Chilean Economy in Focus: Interview with Senior Economist of the Chamber of Commerce of Santiago
- CEOs Rank Top Economies for Growth Opportunities
- The Mobile Ecosystem & Latin America's Economy
- Prospects and Challenges for the Global Economy: Interview with Tim Cooper from BMI Research
- How will the Fed reduce its balance sheet & and how will the ECB end QE? - 19 economic experts weigh in
- Thoughts on "unwinding" QE from Frances Coppola
- Gold: The Most Precious of Metals (Part 3)
- The Fed and ECB at a crossroads: Unwinding QE
- Spain: The economy that continues to silence the critics
- Latin America: The Most Unequal Region in the World
- The History of OPEC: Has it been a Success?
- FocusEconomics Announces 2017 Analyst Forecast Awards Winners
- Latin America’s rising unemployment bucks nearly decade long trend
- Escape from the Central Bank Trap by Daniel Lacalle
- China's economic rebalancing act: What to look out for in 2017
- Driving Growth in Latin America: Challenges & Priorities
- Is the Global Economy Rebalancing?
- Commodity exporters face challenging times
- Recent Global Events Facilitate Mercosur-Pacific Alliance
- 23 economic experts weigh in: Why is productivity growth so low?
- Mexico's outlook as Trump nears 100-day mark
- Interview with Oxford Economics Senior Economist on implications of the possible outcomes of the French Presidential Election
- The anxiety of the small saver in a world of negative interest rates
- Brexit negotiations. Between Uncertainty and Urgency
- An Economic History of the EU from El Blog Salmón
- Baby Boomin': Implications of high population growth in Latin America
- Survey of International Economists Predicts a Le Pen Defeat in French Elections, Says Macron has Best Economic Plan
- Spain in a global context: developed economy with some challenges
- How much is crime costing Latin America?
- Predictions & Estimates from Economist Daniel Lacalle
- What economy will the new Dutch government inherit?
- “The data is not a true reflection of reality in India” Interview with Société Générale India Economist
- 2017 & 2018 Economic Outlook for the Top Oil Producing Countries
- Which countries will have the highest and lowest inflation in 2017?
- What are the prospects for Emerging Economies in 2017?
- What to expect in Asia for 2017
- Top Economics & Finance Blogs of 2017
- Latam to Resume Moderate Growth in 2017 but Important Risks Plague Outlook
- 4 Key European Elections That Will Impact the Economy in 2017
- How are security concerns and political chaos affecting Turkey’s economy?
- Global growth to edge up in 2017
- Set to breach targets again? Debt and deficit outlooks for Southern European Eurozone countries in 2016 & 2017
- What does Donald Trump mean for the U.S. economy?
- How will emerging markets perform in 2017?
- The economic impact of a break in U.S.-Philippines ties
- Trump election: Base metals surge due to infrastructure plan
- 5 updates on the Venezuelan economic crisis
- Canada: When your neighbor’s house is on fire…
- Short-term pain before long-term gain? A look at French labor reform and economic growth
- Asia: Unremarkable growth & unfulfilled promises?
- How India's latest monsoon is affecting the economy
- Russian economy update in wake of OPEC deal announcement
- Innovation in Latin America: Potential Goes Untapped Due to Weak Economic Conditions
- The Wisdom of the Crowds and the Consensus Forecast
- Can the peso predict the U.S. election results?
- There's no end in sight to the Venezuela crisis
- A Look at the European Union Political Calendar
- Survey of international economists shows uncertainty surrounding elections damaging U.S. growth prospects
- FocusEconomics partners with leading online statistics provider Statista
- China: Recent postive economic data may be papering over the cracks
- Sub-Saharan Africa's 2016 & 2017 growth rates
- The Italian Dilemma: Weak banks pose risk to already faltering domestic demand
- How much money do migrants from Latin America send home?
- The U.S.' (Not So) Mysterious Case of the Missing Men
- What to expect from the G20 economies by 2020
- The Pain in Spain: Robust GDP growth cannot mask the persistent structural deficit
- Acting Man
- Alberto Forchielli
- Don't worry, I'm an economist
- Econometrics Beat: Dave Giles' Blog
- Economic Principals
- Edward Hugh Blog
- Financial Services (About.com)
- Kunal's thoughts
- Marc to Market
- Miles Kimball
- Morss Global Finance
- Of Markets & Men
- Owen Zidar
- Punto de Vista Economico
- The Capital Spectator
- True Economics