Blog posts tagged by tag: Colombia
The Latin American economy is expected to recover modestly in 2017, though the outlook is plagued with risks that are causing a downward bias in analysts’ growth forecasts, according to FocusEconomics’ latest survey of 150 leading economic institutions.
Economists forecast Latin America’s GDP to increase 1.6% in 2017, which has been revised down from the 1.8% projected last month. Economic data was stubbornly weak across the region in 2016 and growing uncertainty surrounding the global outlook in the aftermath of Donald Trump’s victory is weighing on sentiment, fueling concerns over the trajectory of the recovery in 2018.
Click on the image to open a larger version
The country traditionally associated with coffee, crude oil, drug cartels and deep-seated internal conflict, Colombia is turning over a new leaf. Whether the change is happening by design or by default, it must be said that while some of the recent developments in Colombia are welcome, others are concerning. President Santos and his political allies have managed to create a constitutionally-binding peace process that legally brings to an end the 52-year conflict with the Marxist rebel groups operating in the country. Colombia’s parallel economy in which rebel groups collected war taxes, operated drug cartels and engaged in kidnapping and extortion, could also be drawing to a close. This positive development promises to mark a turning point in the country’s economic story. Nevertheless, the economy is facing tumultuous times: a historic collapse in the price of commodities, particularly oil, has shocked Colombia’s external sector, resulting in a weaker peso, a higher current account deficit and a dent in government revenue. More recently, inclement weather has affected agricultural output and raised food prices, which has forced the Central Bank to undergo a drastic tightening cycle in order to bring inflation back under control.
These unprecedented factors are all impacting the economy in complex ways. FocusEconomics consulted Nelson Vera, Macro-Chief Economist at the Asociación Nacional de Instituciones Financieras (ANIF) for additional insight into Colombia’s economic dynamics. ANIF is the winner of the FocusEconomic’s best overall forecaster award for Colombia this year.
TagsEuropean Union Investment India Energy Commodities Forex Russia oil prices UK Exchange Rate Mexico World Bank Japan Portugal USA Industrial Metals Commodities G7 MENA Gold Colombia Commodities France Trade Fed South Africa Spain Greece Panelists Agricultural Commodities Emerging Markets Turkey China Africa Argentina Company News Banking Sector OPEC Consensus Forecast Infographic Germany Venezuela Brazil Iran United States Housing Market Nordic Economies Euro Area Eastern Europe Major Economies Brexit Tunisia Financial Sector precious metals Canada Economic Growth (GDP) Base Metals Commodities Ukraine Inflation Sub-Saharan Africa Unemployment rate Vietnam Australia Precious Metals Commodities Italy Oil IMF Latin America Asia
7 minutes ago
37 minutes ago
1 hour ago
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
- The History of OPEC: Has it been a Success?
- FocusEconomics Announces 2017 Analyst Forecast Awards Winners
- Latin America’s rising unemployment bucks nearly decade long trend
- Escape from the Central Bank Trap by Daniel Lacalle
- China's economic rebalancing act: What to look out for in 2017
- Driving Growth in Latin America: Challenges & Priorities
- Is the Global Economy Rebalancing?
- Commodity exporters face challenging times
- Recent Global Events Facilitate Mercosur-Pacific Alliance
- 23 economic experts weigh in: Why is productivity growth so low?
- Mexico's outlook as Trump nears 100-day mark
- Interview with Oxford Economics Senior Economist on implications of the possible outcomes of the French Presidential Election
- The anxiety of the small saver in a world of negative interest rates
- Brexit negotiations. Between Uncertainty and Urgency
- An Economic History of the EU from El Blog Salmón
- Baby Boomin': Implications of high population growth in Latin America
- Survey of International Economists Predicts a Le Pen Defeat in French Elections, Says Macron has Best Economic Plan
- Spain in a global context: developed economy with some challenges
- How much is crime costing Latin America?
- Predictions & Estimates from Economist Daniel Lacalle
- What economy will the new Dutch government inherit?
- “The data is not a true reflection of reality in India” Interview with Société Générale India Economist
- 2017 & 2018 Economic Outlook for the Top Oil Producing Countries
- Which countries will have the highest and lowest inflation in 2017?
- What are the prospects for Emerging Economies in 2017?
- What to expect in Asia for 2017
- Top Economics & Finance Blogs of 2017
- Latam to Resume Moderate Growth in 2017 but Important Risks Plague Outlook
- 4 Key European Elections That Will Impact the Economy in 2017
- How are security concerns and political chaos affecting Turkey’s economy?
- Global growth to edge up in 2017
- Set to breach targets again? Debt and deficit outlooks for Southern European Eurozone countries in 2016 & 2017
- What does Donald Trump mean for the U.S. economy?
- How will emerging markets perform in 2017?
- The economic impact of a break in U.S.-Philippines ties
- Trump election: Base metals surge due to infrastructure plan
- 5 updates on the Venezuelan economic crisis
- Canada: When your neighbor’s house is on fire…
- Short-term pain before long-term gain? A look at French labor reform and economic growth
- Asia: Unremarkable growth & unfulfilled promises?
- How India's latest monsoon is affecting the economy
- Russian economy update in wake of OPEC deal announcement
- Innovation in Latin America: Potential Goes Untapped Due to Weak Economic Conditions
- The Wisdom of the Crowds and the Consensus Forecast
- Can the peso predict the U.S. election results?
- There's no end in sight to the Venezuela crisis
- A Look at the European Union Political Calendar
- Survey of international economists shows uncertainty surrounding elections damaging U.S. growth prospects
- FocusEconomics partners with leading online statistics provider Statista
- China: Recent postive economic data may be papering over the cracks
- Sub-Saharan Africa's 2016 & 2017 growth rates
- The Italian Dilemma: Weak banks pose risk to already faltering domestic demand
- How much money do migrants from Latin America send home?
- The U.S.' (Not So) Mysterious Case of the Missing Men
- What to expect from the G20 economies by 2020
- The Pain in Spain: Robust GDP growth cannot mask the persistent structural deficit
- Acting Man
- Alberto Forchielli
- Don't worry, I'm an economist
- Econometrics Beat: Dave Giles' Blog
- Economic Principals
- Edward Hugh Blog
- Financial Services (About.com)
- Kunal's thoughts
- Marc to Market
- Miles Kimball
- Morss Global Finance
- Of Markets & Men
- Owen Zidar
- Punto de Vista Economico
- The Capital Spectator
- True Economics