Blog posts tagged by tag: Canada
Morning sickness hit global markets this morning, as the world begins to digest the political earthquake that took place yesterday. Declines were recorded in major stock indices and currencies fluctuated as Republican candidate Donald Trump astounded pollsters and won the U.S. presidential election, after a divisive and controversial campaign. The result surprised the vast majority of our analysts, over 80% of whom had expected a victory for Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton, and has heightened global uncertainty dramatically. Our analysts saw Clinton as having a better economic plan, a better grasp of economics and assembling a better economic team than Trump, which combined would help fuel faster growth in the U.S. As a result, the surprise election of Trump has cast a cloud over the outlook of the world’s largest economy. While Trump’s inconsistent and impractical campaign pledges make it difficult to decipher the impact his Presidency will have, major policy changes in the U.S. could have spillover affects felt across the globe.
It has been said, that aside from hockey, real estate is Canada’s national sport. But it is not all fun and games. A number of sources have claimed that the Canadian housing market, particularly in large Canadian cities, is overvalued, and has been for several years. An overvaluation implies an imbalance with a market correction down the line. Such an imbalance could have serious destabilizing effects on the Canadian economy and potentially the global economy depending upon the severity of the overvaluation and abruptness of the revaluation. While most analysts agree that an overvaluation does exist, no one seems able to agree on by how much. Estimates are varied; recent estimates from January have ranged from a modest 7% by the IMF to a whopping 60% by Deutsche Bank.
TagsAfrica IMF European Union Panelists World Bank Consensus Forecast G7 Trade Exchange Rate Vietnam Argentina Industrial Metals Commodities Ukraine Investment Colombia Brazil Eastern Europe Financial Sector OPEC Base Metals Commodities Precious Metals Commodities Portugal Turkey MENA Euro Area Mexico South Africa Company News Japan Forex Inflation USA Tunisia Agricultural Commodities Sub-Saharan Africa United States Germany Asia Fed Gold Russia Banking Sector UK Commodities India Oil Canada Housing Market Iran Major Economies oil prices France Energy Commodities precious metals Italy Venezuela Australia Brexit Economic Growth (GDP) Emerging Markets Infographic Unemployment rate China Latin America Nordic Economies Spain Greece
3 minutes ago
17 minutes ago
17 minutes ago
39 minutes ago
18 hours ago
- Spain in a global context: developed economy with some challenges
- How much is crime costing Latin America?
- Predictions & Estimates from Economist Daniel Lacalle
- What economy will the new Dutch government inherit?
- “The data is not a true reflection of reality in India” Interview with Société Générale India Economist
- 2017 & 2018 Economic Outlook for the Top Oil Producing Countries
- Which countries will have the highest and lowest inflation in 2017?
- What are the prospects for Emerging Economies in 2017?
- What to expect in Asia for 2017
- Top Economics & Finance Blogs of 2017
- Latam to Resume Moderate Growth in 2017 but Important Risks Plague Outlook
- 4 Key European Elections That Will Impact the Economy in 2017
- How are security concerns and political chaos affecting Turkey’s economy?
- Global growth to edge up in 2017
- Set to breach targets again? Debt and deficit outlooks for Southern European Eurozone countries in 2016 & 2017
- What does Donald Trump mean for the U.S. economy?
- How will emerging markets perform in 2017?
- The economic impact of a break in U.S.-Philippines ties
- Trump election: Base metals surge due to infrastructure plan
- 5 updates on the Venezuelan economic crisis
- Canada: When your neighbor’s house is on fire…
- Short-term pain before long-term gain? A look at French labor reform and economic growth
- Asia: Unremarkable growth & unfulfilled promises?
- How India's latest monsoon is affecting the economy
- Russian economy update in wake of OPEC deal announcement
- Innovation in Latin America: Potential Goes Untapped Due to Weak Economic Conditions
- The Wisdom of the Crowds and the Consensus Forecast
- Can the peso predict the U.S. election results?
- There's no end in sight to the Venezuela crisis
- A Look at the European Union Political Calendar
- Survey of international economists shows uncertainty surrounding elections damaging U.S. growth prospects
- FocusEconomics partners with leading online statistics provider Statista
- China: Recent postive economic data may be papering over the cracks
- Sub-Saharan Africa's 2016 & 2017 growth rates
- The Italian Dilemma: Weak banks pose risk to already faltering domestic demand
- How much money do migrants from Latin America send home?
- The U.S.' (Not So) Mysterious Case of the Missing Men
- What to expect from the G20 economies by 2020
- The Pain in Spain: Robust GDP growth cannot mask the persistent structural deficit
- Acting Man
- Alberto Forchielli
- Don't worry, I'm an economist
- Econometrics Beat: Dave Giles' Blog
- Economic Principals
- Edward Hugh Blog
- Financial Services (About.com)
- Kunal's thoughts
- Marc to Market
- Miles Kimball
- Morss Global Finance
- Of Markets & Men
- Owen Zidar
- Punto de Vista Economico
- The Capital Spectator
- True Economics